Saturday, November 24, 2007

Introduce People to Jesus, Not the Church


One of the things I tell Christians whenever I can is that our job is not to convince people that they need "to go to church." At my brother's funeral, I had people approach me and tell me something that is a regular occurrence for me at funerals. "I know I've got to change my life and get into (or back into) church." My response to that, "No, you don't. You need to meet Jesus." I love it when great dead dudes of the past agree with me. Check out what Charles Spurgeon said in the book The Soul Winner:

"In the next place, we do not consider soul-winning to be accomplished by hurriedly inscribing more names upon our church-roll, in order to show a good increase at the end of the year. This is easily done, and there are brethren who use great pains, not to say arts, to effect it; but if it be regarded as the Alpha and Omega of a minister's efforts, the result will be deplorable. By all means let us bring true converts into the church, for it is a part of our work to teach them to observe all things whatsoever Christ has commanded them; but still, this is to be done to disciples, and not to mere professors; and if care be not used, we may do more harm than good at this point. To introduce unconverted persons to the church, is to weaken and degrade it; and therefore an apparent gain may be a real loss." (p. 16-17)

What is our calling as followers of Jesus? It's not to introduce non-disciples to the church, it's to introduce them to Jesus. Then, He will build His church (Matt. 16:18).
Post a Comment