Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Just Some Thoughts on 1 Corinthians

So, we started our study in 1 Corinthians this past Sunday at our EGF Church Plant Core Group. I've actually been studying the book for several weeks trying to immerse myself with the major themes of this great letter penned by the Apostle Paul. One great truth keeps rising to the surface of my meditations: Jesus Christ is the center of the church. I know, it sounds like a "duh" statement, but it was something that the Corinthians needed to hear. They were abusing spiritual gifts, caught up in factions, and were proud of the fact that they were harboring some guy who was shacking up with his step mom. Let's not forget that his was a church that was founded by Paul himself.

It scares me to think that I live much of my life not thinking about the centrality of Jesus. It scares me how much I sin. But that's just it. Because Jesus and His cross are central to the church and to my very life, I know that my sins are forgiven. Even the ones I am yet to commit. Jesus is central because nothing has more value than Jesus. Jesus is central because nothing has more power than Jesus. Jesus is central because nothing else in the church is eternal like Jesus. It is His Church. I am His blood-bought slave. He is my Master, He is my Savior, He is my treasure. But I am a sinner, so that makes Him my friend.