Saturday, May 31, 2008

10 More Minutes Until I Age

I'm sitting here messing around on my computer and it is 11:50 PM. In ten minutes, I will turn 32 years old. I will "officially" age another year. My birthday brings a different perspective for me this year. Back in September my brother, Brian, died before he ever got to see his 30th birthday. Trying to pick up the pieces and live a life without my baby brother has been hard enough. What makes it unbearable is watching my parents who I love dearly suffer such loss and to watch the same kind of pain in the lives of his widow, Samantha, and two children, Jonah and Autumn. Almost three years ago, Nikki and Alicia's mother and Johnny's wife, Sue Ellen, passed away. I don't know who came up with the phrase, time heals all wounds, but it must have been somebody without a brain. Life is that way. Maybe in time you learn to cope with a new sense of what is "normal" but your wounds and broken hearts are never completely mended. But God never intended for it to by that way.

You see, dear friend, this world is not our home. We are not supposed to get comfortable in this life. God allows things to happen in everyday life that should cause us to yearn for the life to come, assuming we know Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. In John 14:2 Jesus tells His disciples that He is going to the Father to prepare a place for them. The implication is that this place is in the presence of the Father Himself. By going away, Jesus meant for His disciples to long to be where he was. That's what he said, "that where I am there you may be also." Without Jesus, all anyone has is this world and an eternity to follow in hell. That is nothing but despair. But what of those who know Jesus? How should we approach life? What are we to do and think when life sucks? As John Calvin said, the secret to the Christian life is meditating or dwelling on the life to come with Jesus. So, on my 32 birthday, I rejoice that I am that much closer to being where Jesus is.

Soli Deo Gloria