Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Experiencing God Through His Promises

Working my way through 1 and 2 Peter this morning I read the following:

"by which He has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature." 2 Peter 1:4

I have to be honest, I have heard the first half of that verse talked about and I have heard the second half talked about; but I cannot remember hearing the connection between the two being made. My observation is simple: there is a kind of experience of God that we can only have through seeing Him keep His promises.Think about it, God is not like us. All of us have had people break promises and all of us have broken a promise at some point in our lives. That is our nature. God has NEVER broken a promise, ever! He never will. When we trust in his "precious and very great promises" we experience a central part of God's character. We learn more deeply who He is and what He is like. When we trust His promises we experience Him.

Allow me to give you one word of exhortation. You cannot TRUST in God's promises if you do not KNOW God's promises. James Macdonald has said that God's promises are diamonds hidden in a mountain of gold. Have you been digging on those golden slopes? Do you, as Peter says, desire the pure milk of the word? Peter goes on to explain that if we don't desire the word it is because we haven't really tasted that the Lord is good (1 Peter 2:3).

God's promises are precious and very great. As we trust in them, we become partakers in who God is. We experience Him afresh. Believe and trust the promises of God today. As the well known hymn states:


Standing on the promises of Christ my King,
Through eternal ages let His praises ring,
Glory in the highest, I will shout and sing,

Standing on the promises of God.

    Standing, standing,
    Standing on the promises of God my Savior;
    Standing, standing,
      I'm standing on the promises of God.

Standing on the promises that cannot fail,
When the howling storms of doubt and fear assail,
By the living Word of God I shall prevail,
  Standing on the promises of God.

Standing on the promises I now can see
Perfect, present cleansing in the blood for me;
Standing in the liberty where Christ makes free,
  Standing on the promises of God.

Standing on the promises of Christ the Lord,
Bound to Him eternally by love's strong cord,
Overcoming daily with the Spirit's sword,
  Standing on the promises of God.

Standing on the promises I shall not fall,
List'ning every moment to the Spirit's call.
Resting in my Savior as my All in all,
  Standing on the promises of God.