Monday, February 11, 2013

Crossway Book Review: Comfort From Romans by Elyse Fitzpatrick

Comforts from Romans: Celebrating the Gospel One Day at a TimeComforts from Romans: Celebrating the Gospel One Day at a Time by Elyse Fitzpatrick

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


It is rare, unfortunately, to find a devotional that is also theologically rich. Elyse Fitzpatrick has delivered exactly that with this book. With 31 daily readings from the first eight chapters of Romans, I was captivated by the gospel each day. This book is helpful to every believer, no matter what level of spiritual maturity they have reached. It is also a great book for a seeker who would like to spend a month checking out what the gospel is all about.

One of the greatest strengths of this book is that Mrs. Fitzpatrick does an incredible job taking context into consideration. So many devotional works treat Scripture like fortune cookies, giving you a pithy little saying with some fluffy explanation. This book will give the reader an understanding of the big picture of Romans and the main points Paul was driving home to his readers.

I highly recommend this book. My biggest complaint is that I didn't want it to be over when I finished. I found myself saying, "No! Don't stop at Romans 8!" I don't know what Mrs. Fitzpatrick's plans are, but I hope she follows this up with another book on the second half of Romans.



View all my reviews